Airport transit visa.

From Wednesday June 10 2015, NO PHONE CALL to the visa section will be answered. Please send your questions by EMAIL ONLY.


If you provide a FEDEX envelop to receive your passport at your residence’s address, this envelop MUST mention:

From: your address (NOT the address of the French Consulate)
To: your address

1- What is an airport transit visa ?

With an airport transit visa you are only allowed to remain in the international zone of the airport, but not to go through immigration control.

This visa may be required when you are traveling from the United States to a non Schengen State, through France.

The airport transit visa is issued by the consulate of the country where the airport of transit is located.

If the arrival and the departure take place in 2 different airports (Paris-Roissy and Paris-Orly), you need a transit visa (see short stay visa).


- If you travel from the USA via a FRENCH AIRPORT to enter another SCHENGEN COUNTRY or if you have a second transit in another SCHENGEN STATE AIRPORT:

The passport control is done at the first point of entry in the Schengen area. All flights between two or more Schengen States are considered to be «domestic» flights. Depending on your nationality, you might need a transit visa (click here).

If you transit through a French airport and if you need a visa for the Schengen state which is your main destination, you must apply for a short stay visa at the consulate representing that country.

- If you travel from the USA via a French airport to enter Switzerland by Bale or Geneva, you have to apply for a transit visa depending on your nationality (check short stay visa).

2- Do I need an airport transit visa ?

1 - If you hold one of the following documents, you DO NOT NEED an airport transit visa, whatever your nationality :

- Hold a valid Schengen visa, national long-stay visa or residence permit issued by one of the European Union countries;

- Hold a valid residence permit issued by Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino or the United States of America. For the US, valid residence permits are :
Form I-551 Permanent resident card (valid for 2 to 10 years),
Form I-551 Alien registration receipt card (valid for 2 to 10 years),
Form I-551 Alien registration receipt card (no expiry date),
Form I-327 Re-entry document (valid for two years — issued to holders of a I-551),
Resident alien card (valid for 2 or 10 years or no expiry date. This document guarantees the holder’s return only if his/her stay outside the USA has not exceeded one year),
Permit to re-enter (valid for two years. This document guarantees the holder’s return only if his/her stay outside the USA has not exceeded two years). The advance parole is NOT a re-entry permit.
Valid temporary residence stamp in the passport (valid for one year from the date of issue);

- If you hold an expired visa for the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Monaco, Andorra, San Marino, Canada, Japan or the United States of America but you are leaving the country which delivered it: for e.g., if you are an Indian citizen holding an expired US visa and flying to India via Paris, and if you do not plan to leave the international zone of the airport, YOU DON’T NEED to apply for an airport transit visa.
- Valid visa issued by the United States of America in your passport.

2 - If you do not hold one of this document listed above, and you are citizen of one of the nationality listed below YOU DO NEED an airport transit visa.

Afghanistan Albania (*) Angola (*)
Bangladesh Burkina Faso (*) Cameroun (*)
Chad (*) Columbia (*) Congo, Republic (Brazzaville) (*)
Congo, Democratic Republic (kinshasa) Cuba (*) Djibouti (*)
Dominican Republic (*) Eritrea Ethiopia
Gambia (*) Ghana Guinea
Guinea Bissau (*) Haïti (*) India (*)
Iraq Iran Ivory Coast (*)
Liberia (*) Mali (*)Nigeria (*) Mauritania (*)
Nigeria Pakistan Palestinian holders of a refugee travel document, which has been issued by Egypt, Lebanon, or Syria
Perou (*) Russia (**) Senegal (*)
Sierra Leone (*) Somalia Sri Lanka
Sudan (*) Togo (*) Syria

- Exceptions :

(*) Airport transit visa is not required for official passport holders.

(**) Russian citizens : if you are transiting through Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Belarus, Ukraine, Egypt, Turkey, Moldova, please contact us.

3- Requirements

You have to apply with the French Consulate Houston, only if you reside in one of the following states : Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and Louisiana.

If you do not reside in one of those states, you have to apply with another French Consulate, depending on where you live in the United states. To know where to apply, click here.

Please book an appointment online before applying for a visa. Click here for more information.

- Passport valid at least three months beyond the applicant’s last day of stay in the airport. Please make sure your passport has a double blank page to affix the visa.

- 1 short stay application form clearly filled out. Please print in black. Indicate your phone numbers and e-mail.

Word - 99.5 kb
short stay application form
(Word - 99.5 kb)

- 1 recent passport size photograph. DO NOT ATTACH to the form.

- If you are not a US citizen, a proof of resident status in the USA (valid US visa along with a copy of valid I-20 or valid I-AP66...).

- Detailed reservation and itinerary. Round trip airline tickets with confirmed reservations at the time of issuance of the visa.

- For a minor, if traveling alone, a notarized parental authorization) signed by both parents or guardian. If the minor travels with 1 parent, an authorization signed by the second parent is required.

- Processing fees: by credit card (Visa, Mastercard) cash or money-order only. Personal checks or American Express are not accepted.

4- Frequently asked questions

Q : I am an Indian citizen. I have a US F-1 visa valid in my passport, but my status changed and I have to go back to India to get my H-1B.
I will fly from the US to India and have to go through Charles de Gaulle for a couple of hours. Do I need an airport transit visa ?

A : As long as you have a valid US visa stamped in your passport, you do not need an airport transit visa, even if your status has changed.

Q : I am a Nigerian citizen. Do I need an airport transit visa?

A : You don’t need an airport transit visa if you have a green card, as long as you stay in the airport.

If you still have any question, please contact the visa section at the following e-mail address :

Last modified on 05/10/2017

top of the page