Assistant language teacher

From Wednesday June 10 2015, NO PHONE CALL to the visa section will be answered. Please send your questions by EMAIL ONLY.


If you provide a FEDEX envelop to receive your passport at your residence’s address, this envelop MUST mention:

From: your address (NOT the address of the French Consulate)
To: your address

1. What are "lecteurs de langue étrangère" and "assistants de langue vivante"? ?

- A "lecteur de langue étrangère" may teach in a French high school or university.

- An "assistant de langue vivante" may teach English in a French high school.

2. Long stay visa and residence permit in France

* From the 1st of June 2009, long stay visa holders will be allowed to reside in France for up to 12 months according to the validity of their visa and purpose of stay. They will no longer be required to obtain a residence permit ("carte de séjour") from the French local authorities ("Préfecture") as long as their visa is valid.

* However, long stay visa holders will have to register to the French Office of Immigration and Integration (OFII) during the first three months of their stay in France.

Please note that the new regulations applicable from the 1st of June 2009 will require a longer processing time to issue long stay visas that will serve as first residence permits.

* You must obtain your visa while in the USA. The visa cannot be issued once the applicant is in France.

3. Do I need a visa?

Yes except if you are a citizen of Switzerland, Andorra, Vatican, San Marino, Monaco or of the European Economic Area :

Austria Belgium Bulgaria Cyprus
Czech Republic Denmark Estonia Finland
Germany Great-Britain Greece Hungary
Iceland Ireland Italy Latvia
Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Malta
The Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal
Romania Slovakia Slovenia Spain

Also special rules apply for family members of an European Union citizen.

4. How to make an appointment?

The visa section is open to the public on an appointment basis, with no walk-ins allowed.
No appointment will be given at the counter, by e-mail or by phone.

Each applicant (children included) has to appear personally at the Consulate and should have his own appointment.

Applicants arriving late will not be accommodated and must reschedule their appointments.

Minor applicants have to be accompanied by their mother or father or legal guardian at the personal interview.

Click here if you are ready to book an appointment.

4. Processing time

- Usually 3 weeks but 2 months for citizens from :

Afghanistan Algeria Bahrain
Burma Burundi Colombia
Congo DRC Egypt Indonesia
Iraq Iran Jordan
North Korea Kuwait Lebanon
Libya Oman Pakistan
Palestinians Philippines Qatar
US Re-entry permit US Refugee travel document Rwanda
Saudi Arabia Sudan Suriname
Syria Yemen United Arab Emirates

Applications cannot be processed more than 3 months ahead of time.

5. Required documents

Please provide us with the original + copies of each document. The visa section does not make any copies, you must bring your documents and the required number of copies.
  1. Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.

  2. Processing fee

  3. One application form filled out completely and signed by the applicant. NO COPY.
    PDF - 37 kb
    Application Form
    (PDF - 37 kb)

  4. One residence form duly filled out (upper part only).
    PDF - 199.3 kb
    Residence form
    (PDF - 199.3 kb)

  5. Two (2) recent ID pictures (white background, full face, no glasses nor hat, closed mouth taken less than 90 days ago) .

  6. A work contract duly stamped by the French authorities :

    • For "assistants de langue vivante" : Your "Arrêté de nomination" stamped by the French Ministry of Labor (Direction Départementale du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Formation Professionnelle - D.D.T.E.F.P.) (original + 1 photocopy).

    • For "lecteurs de langue étrangère": Either a work agreement fromFrench Office of immigration and integration (OFII). For more information contact the University in France that will host you or the OFII. This document is usually sent directly by the OFII to the consulate.Or a "protocole d’accueil" for scientist,professors and researchers to be provided by the university (original + 1 photocopy). In this case, please check the information regarding the long stay visa for scientists, professors and researchers.

      If you cannot come back to the Consulate to pick up your passport and your visa (the Consulate will keep your passport during the processing time), you will need to provide, at the time of the application, a self-addressed prepaid envelope with a tracking number (FEDEX, UPS, EXPRESS MAIL). FEDEX envelope with you account number and FEDEX Ground envelopes are NOT accepted. You may use one envelope per family if you buy “flat rate”.

      Please keep your tracking number on the envelope so that you can check the status of your package delivery. The Consulate is not responsible for losses. You will have to fill out all the information on the prepaid envelope:

      Your full name
      Your address

      Your full name
      Your address

      Envelopes with the Consulate as Sender will not be accepted.


      Important information

      - The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.

      - Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.

      - Please note that holders of visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into France. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter France.

Last modified on 08/07/2015

top of the page